Aug 11, 2014 6:20pm
Dash Dot Dash Dash Dash (not the detergent)....(title means nothing...random nonsense)
A couple days ago I uploaded the latest in my unpopular "1950s commercials (misc)" series. Part 7, to be exact:https://archive.org/details/misc1950s-ia-copy-part7
Despite the lack of cuddly Shinto demons, the commercials aren't too bad.
The video contains:
1. A commercial for the Dodge Texan, a car sold only in Texas (it was pretty much a standard mid-1950s Dodge with minor differences);
2. A 1955 commercial for Jell-O, promoting using it for Jell-O salads. The opening moments of the commercial are live, the rest of it is filmed. It was taken from "The Inner Flame", a daytime soap opera;
3. A 1952 PSA for the US Navy, taken from "Dagmar's Canteen", and featuring very very basic animation;
4. A 1957 commercial for Coldene chest rub, sold in a container similar to the one used by Fresh deodorant. Most of it is a live commercial;
5. A 1957 commercial for Clairol, taken from a music special;
6. A *live* daytime commercial for Swanson's Frozen Chicken, taken from "The Bob Crosby Show";
7. A commercial for Cheer laundry detergent. It's from 1955 and taken from a daytime soap opera;
8. A 1955 commercial for Bisquick, taken from a daytime soap opera called "Valiant Lady";
9. A 1954 commercial for 5 Day deodorant pads, taken from "The Arthur Murray Party";
10. A 1953 commercial for Aerowax, taken from a daytime soap opera. A live commercial;
11. A 1955 commercial for Dial soap.
I hope the video is of interest. The commercials have also been uploaded individually, as have the shows they come from.
I am correctly collecting commercials for the 8th video in the series. So far I have 8 commercials, including an excellent commercial for Fab detergent taken from the worst game show of the 1950s, and a delightfully inane 1954 commercial for Pet nonfat dry milk which refers to the product as being a "miracle", "magic" and "snow flakes".